Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program (CDPAP)
What is CDPAP?
CDPAP is a Medicaid program that promotes consumer independence. As a consumer, you have control of:
- Choosing and managing your own personal assistant
- Training to your needs, including medical care
- Scheduling and ensuring back-up coverage
What are the requirements?
You must be eligible for Medicaid and home care services, and be self directing or have a designated representative.
Who can be my personal assistant (PA)?
Your PA can be anyone, even friends and family, as long as they are authorized to work in the US. They do not need any certification and can even provide skilled care under your instruction.
Exception: Your PA cannot be your spouse nor parent.
How do I get started?
We can guide you through the specifics of the process. Once you call us, we will initiate the following steps:
- Help you schedule an assessment to enroll in a MLTC plan. This determines hours and eligibility for the program.
- Walk you through the hiring process and provide you the forms necessary.
- Begin your care and manage payroll for your PA.
For more information, please call (212) 945-8345.